Have you got a Bachelor’s degree already? Then, a Master’s degree is a natural next step in your scientific career as it is required for practically all positions in science and research. Even if you prefer a position in the public or private sector, it is an important component to advance your career. If you have obtained a Bachelor’s degree in Meteorology, Oceanography, Physics, Mathematics, Environmental Physics, Engineering, or related subjects with emphasis on mathematics and physics, we will gladly inform you individually about the formal admission requirements.
Mandatory prerequisties are
- Bachelor certificate
In case you have not yet finalized your Bachelor degree or not received your certificate, a Transcript of Records is required. For applicants from Universität Hamburg a „Stine Leistungskontoauszug“ is accepted as well. Your Bachelor certificate (or the description of your Bachelor studies, see below) should provide detailed information on courses taken to verify that at least 90 CP are in Natural Sciences, Engineering Sciences or Mathematics.
- English language certificate
One of the following English language certificates are required
- Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) B2 certificate
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Test with a minimum score of 5.0
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) internet-based Test with a minimum score of 72 points
- Cambridge First Certificate in English (FCE), Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE), Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
- a proof of at least 7 years of successfully completed English courses at a secondary German school
Not mandatory, but might be relevant for selection process in a case of too many applications, are
- Description of your Bachelor studies
- Letter of motivation
Universität Hamburg does not charge a tuition fee. Admitted students will only need to pay a semester contribution every semester.
If you have any questions, we will gladly inform you individually about the formal admission prerequisites. Please send an email to atmoscience"AT"uni-hamburg.de.